How to File Housing Complaints to HUD

Laura Cappiello

HUD handles complaints in several categories:

Housing discrimination: Federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or disability. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint. You can fill out an online form at or print out a form from

 Or write a letter an include:

Your name and address 

The name and address of the person your complaint is about, the address of the house or apartment you were trying to rent or buy, the date when this incident occurred and ashort description of what happened 

Then mail it to the Fair Housing Hub closest to you:

Boston Regional Office of FHEO

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Thomas P. O’Neill, Jr.

Federal Building

10 Causeway Street, Room 321

Boston, Massachusetts 02222-1092

(617) 994-8300


TTY (617) 565-5453

Slum landlords in federal housing: Hundreds of landlords have been fined and/or debarred from doing business with the federal government as a result of failing to provide safe and decent housing for the poor, while enriching themselves on taxpayer-funded subsidies. To report a bad landlord to the Multifamily Housing Complaint Line call toll-free1-800-685-8470 / TTY 1-800-432-2209.

Manufactured housing: If you have a problem with your manufactured home, learn how to solve the problem. If you have a problem with your manufactured home, the first thing you should do is contact the business who sold you the home or the manufacturer that produced the home, to try to resolve the problem. If that fails, you can file a complaint. Include a description of the problem, along with copies of any correspondence or contacts with the retailer and the manufacturer to resolve the problem. Also include:

 Your name, address and a telephone number where you can be reached during the day; 

 The name of the manufacturer; 

The serial number and model number of your home; 

The label number (the red tag on the back of the home); 

The date purchased; and  the name of the business who sold you the home. 

 Send your complaint to your State Administrative Agency or, if your state doesn’t have such an agency, send it to:

 Manufactured Housing and Standards Division

Office of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs

Department of Housing and Urban Development

451 7th St. SW, Room 9152

Washington, D.C. 20410-8000

Deceptive contractors: HUD insures loans to help people renovate and repair their homes through a program called Title 1. To report any fraud or abuse in the Title1 Program, call toll-free (800) 569-4287/ TTY (800) 483-2200.

Post to Twitter
Share on Facebook
Bookmark this on Delicious
Bookmark this on Digg
Bookmark this on Google Bookmarks
Share on LinkedIn
Share on StumbleUpon

Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>